Wednesday 15 January 2014

A bad night followed by a good day!

I started off very well yesterday. Breakfast was one slice of toast with minimal butter, I had low-fat potato & egg salad for lunch (homemade!!) with a pear and an alpen cherry bakewell bar for snacks. I was feeling very proud of myself and actually had no hunger pangs all day, and then I came home...



A photo of my healthy lunch to distract you from the upcoming bad bad food!



I had a lovely evening with housemates and friends, which came with the standard bad bad bad takeaway...dominos! It was a typical example of my absolute lack of willpower and love of pizza. It was a really nice evening catching up with friends so I am choosing not to focus too much on the fact that I fell off the wagon!

This morning I planned on swimming however woke up with an achy ear and felt it was safer not to risk it...I get a lot of ear infections and right now is not the best time for one! Breakfast and lunch were the same as yesterday, so it is proven that I can stay on track when there are no awful distractions like my housemate begging to have pizza.

A friend and fellow blogger (check her out at http://www.eventmanagementstudent.com) told me about the NHS podcasts "Couch to 5k" which are available to download from the iTunes store for FREE! Now I am most definitely not a natural born runner, and with bad genetics in the ankle area its never really been a good idea to test my running abilities. The "Couch to 5k" podcast lasts 30 minutes and Week 1 consisted of 60 seconds of jogging followed by 90 seconds of brisk walking, repeated for the entire duration. I still can't believe it as I type this, but I actually enjoyed it! Yes my legs ache now and I got a stitch multiple times whilst I was doing it, but I felt virtuous afterwards and naturally, didn't regret it at all! The podcast advises to do each session three times during the course of a week, allowing a day in between to rest the muscles that aren't usually used in everyday activity!

Now I can't make a large declaration that I will be committing myself to this challenge; there are way too many changing variables, such as uni work, paid work, ankles, general health, but the fact that I've not ended up in A&E after my first attempt is quite encouraging!!

Perhaps next time I will be brave enough to post a photo of myself in my fetching running clothes!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment